Tuesday, October 26, 2010

A Long Distance Dress

Dear Mr. ATC, if by any chance you took an interest in reading my blog, I hope you can tell by the title of this post that it is not for you. So please stop reading now, unless you want to read details about my dress. Okay? Thanks. Love, Miss DNA.








I got the call yesterday that my dress is in!!

EXCEPT, I currently live 907 miles away from it! (yes I just looked that up on google maps)

Here's the story: When my mom and I got back from Europe we went dress shopping. I wasn't expecting to buy anything, but we did. They said it would take 5-6 months to make it. Well here we are at just barely over 4 months. 5-6 months was perfect because it would have been around christmas time and I could have made a long trip out of picking up my dress. But now I can't. And there is even a bigger dilemma. I only have 2 weeks to pay the remaining balance. I can't get there in 2 weeks to see it and try it on. My mom can, but we paid extra for hollow to hem (because I am super short) and a corset back, so I would like to make sure everything is good with the dress before we finish paying for it. I would hate for the dress to be too short. Too long, they could fix, it would just be difficult because of the design of the dress, or I could just wear higher heels. Too short is not fixable. Wrong color, not fixable. While I trust my mother to be able to tell the color and make sure it has a corset back, she can't try it on for me to check the length (well she could since we are similar build, but she won't because she thinks it is bad luck) Really wishing I thought through this before we ordered the dress. I really, really want to see it again (that reminds me, I still need to name her since she doesn't have one). Ooo, I'll name her Regina since it means Queen and she is like royalty! I seriously just thought of that!

Well I just got off the phone with Brides by Demetrios in Tampa. I didn't get their voicemail in time to call them back yesterday. They have very generously offered to work with us since I am out of state. My mom made an appointment to go check Regina out on her lunch hour next week (what a great Mom!) And they said they would put her on a form so my mom can look at the dress and decide if she wants to finish paying for her, or only make a partial payment so they can hold her until I can get there to try her on and inspect her myself. I had a great time shopping with them, and their willingness to make this work for me has them even higher rated in my book now. My mom also said she would take her camera and get some pictures of Regina! Yay!

Any other brides out there with a long distance dress?

2 comments:

  1. My dress was a long distance dress too! Though not nearly as far as yours! I went with mom last year when I was home for Thanksgiving and we ended up finding the one. It was only very frustrating when it came in and when I needed to go up for alterations and such, but the 5.5 hr drive was worth it to see me mom and my dress. It only became difficult in the end when we had to work in the final fittings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad I am not alone! I thought I must be the only insane person to buy a dress so far away. But you are right, having the experience with my mom was so worth it! And getting to go to all my fittings with her will be worth it as well. Figuring out the details on how I am going to get it home will be interesting, but we will make it work.

    ReplyDelete