Monday, November 22, 2010

Wedding Lab: Creating our Save the Dates Part 1

From the moment I started planning, I knew I wanted to craft and DIY as much as I could to try and keep our costs down. I found the super awesome technique of embossing on the web and knew I had to try it for our invites. I decided to give it a test run with the save the dates, and sure, there were a few kinks, but I think they turned out pretty great. Everyone loved our magnets as well as our envelopes. Both of which make me super happy since Mr. ATC and I put a lot of time, sweat, tears, and a few choice words into creating such a masterpiece.

Since everyone received their Save the Dates in lightening speed, I am clear to debut them on the interwebs. First I will show you the first embossing party we had (yeah I said first) where we embellished the front of the envelopes.





I was the stamper. Here is my stamp with pretty gold ink. 

Why yes that is a Waterford Christmas Catalog :) 

Here is the clear powder we used, which is really white and resembles narcotics when left on a piece of paper. 
We chose the white or clear powder so that we could buy different colored inks instead of different colored powders since the powder is slightly more expensive and you use VERY little of it during the process. 

And here is the ever so talented heat embosser Mr. ATC. He was such a great sport, as well as was his friend who we recruited to help with the process. 


Voila! A stack of pretty embossed envelopes :) 


The color of the envelope really does not go with our color scheme for the wedding, but we bought them before we decided on colors. I like the fun, bright blue and since Save the Dates are informal, I thought why not!? Which is a piece of advice–Don't stress about everything matching, it will be hard to match envelope colors for one, not many people are going to care, and it's a great way to have fun/ show a little personality to make it extra personal. 

I really had fun stamping and embossing. It was a great trial run to test out our skills before we tackle the invitations. I really don't know if I would have been so happy about it if I had to do more than 40 envelopes though. So keep that in mind when deciding on how much you want to emboss. 

There are tons of embossing tutorials on the internet, but if you would like a more detailed explanation, or if you have questions, just shoot me an email. 

Next I'll show you my self taught calligraphy and the postage stamps we used! 

Did you decide to use the heat embossing technique in any DIY projects? I'd love to see them! 

No comments:

Post a Comment