Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Speaking of Unhitched...

We are currently in the process of actually finding someone to marry us.

This hasn't really been as easy as I thought it would. I found myself being picky about the officiants we researched. Nothing really in particular, but most of them just didn't feel right. Mr. ATC voiced that he would prefer a male officiant. I didn't have a preference either way.

We decided to meet with our internet favorite on Saturday morning at starbucks. He actually lives right down the street from us, we could have walked to his place. It was such a nice change to be able to meet with someone local, because we have been dealing with vendors about 2 hours north of us, since that is where our venue is.





We talked about the ceremony, our family dynamics, and religious views. It was far less stressful to meet with an officiant than I thought it would be. I thought we would be highly judged for wanting a secular ceremony, or that we needed to prove that we were somehow fit to be married.

We talked for over an hour, and I think we both felt comfortable with this particular officiant. I don't think that we will need to go any further in our search.

He also brought up the handfasting ceremony that I had yet to show/ explain to Mr. ATC, so he really had no idea what we were talking about until after. This is one of the ceremony ideas I had been thinking of. The officiant thinks it suits us as a couple, and so does my mom. The other ceremony I was considering is the wine box ceremony. While I was explaining both to my mom, she made a very valid point that we didn't have to have the wine box in the ceremony, that we could actually still do this privately before or after the ceremony. And I LOVE that idea.

The reason that I liked the wine box ceremony was because of writing the letters to each other, but we could do that before the ceremony, and display the box at the reception somehow?

I feel like the handfasting ceremony is more about joining the two of us as one than the wine box ceremony. Which is why I think we will be going with that. Our officiant sent us some wording that he has used before, but I found some wording online that I like better, so hopefully he is willing to work with me on that. There is a long version and a short version, but we haven't decided which to use yet.

Which ceremony did you include in your wedding? Or which do you like better?

No comments:

Post a Comment